The bestchance Parent and Child Support program plays a preventative and early intervention role by providing professional family assessment, personalised in-home support and assisted playgroup programs for parents with pre-school aged children residing in the City of Monash.
The program supports the needs of families with additional needs, including those isolated from extended family or community support, multiple birth and single parent families.
The aim of the program is to reduce social isolation and the stresses associated with parenting young children by providing opportunities for parents to become more socially active and to develop support networks within the community.
Families are referred to the program by their Maternal and Child Health Care centre or other health professional group.
The program aims to support families facing challenging circumstances, such as social isolation, single parenthood, multiple births, health issues, or a child/children with a disability.
“bestchance was just that. It was the best chance a first time mother of twins could have to successfully navigate through the early challenges of childhood/motherhood/twinhood. Its various programs offered me a nurturing environment with unbiased support and friendship most of all. The PACS program gave me respite once a week with a volunteer who provided emotional and physical assistance to make my day a little easier.”
Our mature age female volunteers:
• Are experienced in the care of infants and children
• Have an understanding of children’s development and behaviour
• Are caring and empathetic with a special interest in families
• Have the ability to follow direction, and work according to the philosophy and values of the family
• Are respectful of diversity, specific cultural values, and parenting styles
• Have a current Working With Children Check/Police Check
Benefits of having an extra pair of hands:
• Provides company, friendship and encouragement
• Monitors your child while you attend to other tasks
• Supports you to have one on one time with each child at a time
• Cares for your child while you are having ‘me time’ at home
• Accompanies the family to appointments, medical, shopping or outings
The family is visited during the week at an agreed day and time.
The commitment is for 3-4 hours per week, for approximately 12 months.
Links (Supported Playgroup)
The Links Program is Available to families with babies and preschool aged children (primarily from postcodes 3166-3167-3168-3148-3147- 3149-3150). The focus is to provide a link between home and the community. To support caregivers who are isolated, adjusting to the demands of parenting and are wanting to meet new people.
“ My children love the playgroup, especially the outdoor play area. I have been going to the playgroup now for over a year and it was the best thing that ever happened for me. I’m not judged by other mums, Natalie & all of the volunteers are wonderful, caring and supportive. Natalie and the volunteers provide caring and supportive advice and encouragement to myself and are great with the kids.” – Links Participant
The playgroup involves:
• Semi-structured play based experiences
• Music and movement session
• Facilitated by an Educational Advisor and Family Support Worker
• Supported by mature aged female volunteers
• Counselling available
• Delivers a play based educational playgroup for your child.
• Provides opportunities to discuss developmental queries and enhance your child’s development.
• It is delivered in a nurturing and relaxed environment.
• Gives structure and routine to your week.
• Opportunity to meet new people.
• Supports social connections and builds relationships
• Learn about other services that could be relevant to you.
• A hat and sunscreen in warmer weather.
• A healthy snack (peanut free) and drink for your child.
Tea and coffee available for adults.
When: Tuesdays 10-12pm
Where: Playroom 9 at Bestchance, 583 Ferntree Gully road, Glen Waverley.
Runs during school terms.
If you would like more information about the bestchance Parent and Child Support program or would like to enquire about volunteering with this program, please call 8562 5100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or alternatively, complete the form below.