- Posted: 24 September, 2018
- by Wyndham Vale Primary Kindergarten
Why is physical activity important in early childhood services for young children?
Physical activity is vital for a child’s development and lays the foundation for a healthy and active life. Early childhood services are ideally placed to foster the development of good physical activity habits early in life and to encourage families to engage in regular physical activity.
As an early childhood services we offer a wide choice of play-based, physically active learning experiences that link to children’s interests, abilities, identity and prior knowledge. Physical activity in kinder needs to be made up of both spontaneous and intentionally planned active play (child initiated and educator led) that can be done indoors or outdoors. In addition, as active role models, educators can encourage children to participate in physical activity.
The benefits of being active for young children include:
- promoting healthy growth and development
- helping to achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- building strong bones and muscles
- improving cardiovascular fitness
- improving balance, coordination and strength
- maintaining and developing flexibility
- improving posture
- assisting with the development of gross motor and fine motor skills
- providing the opportunity to develop fundamental movement skills
- helping to establish connections between different parts of the brain
- improving concentration and thinking skills
- improving confidence and self-esteem
- relieving stress and promoting relaxation
- providing opportunities to develop social skills and make friends
- improving sleep.
Thank you to everyone who participated in today’s activities, these included dress ups, favourite sport drawing, ball bunting and then our outdoor activities. Below are the photos that showcase todays activities. These were all planned as an extension of the conclusion of the ‘Little Sport Hero’ program, the AFL grand final approaching and our children’s love of sport and the outdoors